It’s important to choose a WordPress theme that gives your site a unique look and feel. However, by prioritizing aesthetically-pleasing designs, you might overlook other vital considerations, such as GDPR compliance.
Fortunately, you can find a GDPR-compliant WordPress theme that ensures internet privacy and data protection. Not only that, but the themes in this post can equally impress your visitors with beautiful designs.
In this post, we’ll take a closer look at GDPR-compliant themes. Then, we’ll explore five top picks for WordPress websites. Let’s get started!
An Introduction to GDPR-Compliant Themes
GDPR is a set of guidelines for internet privacy and data protection. It’s European legislation, but since you’ll likely have EU citizens visiting your website, all sites must comply with GDPR.
For instance, any website that handles personal data must inform users and communicate how that data will be stored. This data includes payment details, email addresses, IP addresses, and more. It also relates to identifying information, such as gender, ethnicity, and religion.
GDPR also applies if you use tracking cookies, tracking plugins, or third-party content on your site:
Non-compliance with GDPR policies can result in strict fines. The more serious the infringement, the higher the fine. However, even minor violations can lead to penalties of up to €10 million (or 2% of your company’s worldwide annual revenue).
So, where does a GDPR-compliant theme come into this? Your theme largely determines how users view and interact with your site. Therefore, you can benefit from choosing a theme that demonstrates that you’re privacy-focused to put visitors’ minds at rest.
Additionally, you can find GDPR-compliant themes that come with plenty of useful tools like privacy banners, consent checkboxes, and the option to hide embedded content if users don’t agree to cookies.
5 Best GDPR-Compliant WordPress Themes for 2024
Now that you understand more about the regulations, let’s look at some of the best GDPR-compliant themes for 2024!
Kalium is a multipurpose theme that can turn your website into anything you want. For instance, it’s a great fit for a portfolio, a bookstore, a car dealership, a resume, a consulting business, and more.
Kalium isn’t weighed down by a bunch of features you don’t need. Instead, it boasts a simplistic design, clean lines, and soft colors. These features make it ideal for content-heavy sites since you can draw your visitors’ attention toward beautiful and bold feature images.
Better yet, it enables you to focus on other elements like content and navigation to boost your User Experience (UX). It’s also easily customized, providing four different header options and even a mega menu (supported by Max Mega Menu).
Kalium is designed with GDPR compliance in mind. Additionally, it’s accessibility-ready to help all visitors navigate your site more easily.
- Lazy loading functionality delivers fast, responsive performance.
- Translate your site easily with translations certified by WPML.
- Access professional starter themes and install them in just one click.
Oxygen is a highly-customizable elegant WooCommerce theme that works with all kinds of eCommerce sites. Using the theme options panel, you can dictate your online store’s exact look and feel.
For example, you can choose between four headers, apply +1000 fonts, and adjust the blog settings. Meanwhile, you’re able to create unique page layouts with the Premium WPBakery Page Builder that comes with the theme.
Special eCommerce features include Wishlist, which enables customers to add products to a page and checkout later. Plus, shoppers can browse items easily thanks to its Quick View functionality.
Oxygen doesn’t collect user data for the theme to function. Instead, you’ll just need to identify any third-party tools that track your visitors and include them in your privacy disclosure.
- Use Quick View and Wishlist features for eCommerce sites.
- Access the premium Slider Revolution (one of the best sliders on the market).
- Choose from responsive designs with lazy loading for faster performance.
Hope is a modern colorful theme designed for non-profit organizations like charities, fundraising sites, and healthcare websites. It’s responsive, SEO-optimized, and compatible with popular page builders.
Moreover, Hope makes our list because it comes with the GDPR Framework WP plugin to ensure you comply with GDPR when collecting user or payment details.
- Choose from two homepage layouts and install them in one click.
- Access an interactive Ajax search mechanism.
- Collect donations easily with the Give plugin.
Uncode is a flexible, high-performing theme suitable for many types of websites, including portfolios, blogs, eCommerce sites, and agencies. It provides a clean, modern design that’s easy to customize. Plus, with access to 70 pre-designed layouts, you can build your website even faster.
In terms of GDPR compliance, Uncode comes with its own privacy plugin that hides/reveals content depending on visitors’ cookie preferences and consent to third parties. So, unless users agree to your terms, Uncode will hide any embedded content from sites like YouTube.
- Edit your pages on the front end with WPBakery Page Builder.
- Create custom content sections like headers, footers, and page parts.
- Use the WooCommerce Product Builder to construct single product layouts with the page builder.
Buzz is an attractive GDPR-compliant theme suited to content-heavy sites like magazines, photography sites, blogs, and news publications. You’ll get access to +200 homepages with beautiful, user-friendly designs. Plus, Buzz’s layouts are responsive and come with Ajax-powered live search.
- Access header and footer builders that use Elementor, including 20 Elementor widgets.
- Use user-friendly features like sticky navigations, sidebar generation, and mega menus.
- Enjoy custom Subscribe and Login pages.
It’s easy to be drawn to themes that will make your site look stunning. However, there are plenty of other factors, like GDPR compliance. Fortunately, you can find WordPress themes that deliver the entire package.
To recap, here are the five best GDPR-compliant WordPress themes for 2024:
- Kalium: A fast, multipurpose theme that’s completely customizable.
- Oxygen: An elegant WooCommerce theme with high-converting eCommerce features.
- Hope: A vibrant theme, ideal for non-profit organizations.
- Uncode: Stands out for its clean, modern design and privacy plugin.
- Buzz: With tons of GDPR-compliant features, this theme best suits blogs.
Do you have any questions about GDPR-compliant WordPress themes? Let us know in the comments section below!